We invite you to visit our new Office/Archives Building.
Open 2-4 Fridays or by appointment.
Contact Archivist Doris Montgomery, 607 276 6324
or Donna B. Ryan, 607 276 6760
ALMOND HISTORICAL SOCIETY INVITES YOU TO OUR
CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE AND CHILDREN’S MUSICAL PROGRAM
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2013
1 TO 4:30 P.M.
HAGADORN HOUSE, 7 MAIN STREET,
Rehearsals are being held and decorations created for the Almond Historical Society’s annual Christmas open house and musical program set for Sunday afternoon, December 8 in Almond.
“The public is invited to tour our 1830s Hagadorn House from 1 to 4:30 and view the decorations fashioned by Mary Ellen Westlake, Susan Steere, Cindy Banker, and Helen Spencer,” President Lee A. Ryan said. “Mary Jane Reid’s classic Christmas cookies and Kitty Baker’s hot wassail will be served to all by Mrs. Spencer and Anna Morford.” The homeschooled children, under the direction of Mrs. Steere, are making ornaments for the parlor Christmas tree, furnished by Kim and Kathy Costello.
The public is also invited to attend the children’s choir musical program which will be presented next door at Almond Union Church at 2 p.m. Directed by Randi Corkey and accompanied by Donna Ryan, this children’s concert has been a favorite of the public for many years. Area children, ranging in age from 5 to 16, will sing many Christmas favorites, along with congregational singing of Christmas carols.
The Hagadorn House was built in the early 1830s by Jesse Angell, a prosperous merchant whose general store was located across the street from his house. By 1867, the house was occupied by the John Wetherby family. The daughter, Cornelia Wetherby, married Dr. William Hagadorn in 1869. They resided here with her parents. In 1872, the Wetherbys moved to their farm and the house became the Hagadorn home. The second Hagadorn generation in residence was William H. and Alice Simmons Hagadorn, who owned the hardware store across Karrdale Avenue from the home. (later razed for Rt 86 entrance)
The third generation living here was Kenneth W. and Marie Dodds Hagadorn. Marie was a nurse and Kenneth was the postmaster in Almond. They had no children. One of the unique features of the Hagadorn House is the cooking fireplace, discovered boarded up in the dining room wall by Mrs. Ken Hagadorn in the early 1940s.
It is believed that the original 1830s house consisted of the fireplace room with the attic/bedroom above. Cornelia’s diary of 1868 mentions the addition of the kitchen area. The two front rooms, gallery and hall with corresponding rooms above were built later – probably during the doctor’s time because the present gallery was the doctor’s office.
In 1971, the house was bequeathed to the Almond Historical Society by Kenneth Wetherby Hagadorn, the grandson of Cornelia Wetherby and Dr. William Hagadorn. It then became the repository of treasured items from Almond’s past.